"Escaping the Virtual Cave"
Interview with the folks from Intelguardians to discuss Virtual Machine Escaping. With us will be:
Ed Skoudis Tom Liston Mathew Carpenter
http://www.pauldotcom.com/2007/07/31/escaping_from_the_virtualizati.html - Paul's blog post
http://handlers.sans.org/tliston/ThwartingVMDetection_Liston_Skoudis.pdf - Previous presentation on VMEscaping from Ed and Tom
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/467201 - vulnerability that VMftp used
- So, how did you guys come to start researching this topic?
- In all seriousness, for everyone's benefit, what is VM excape and why should people care about virtual machine escape techniques?
- Tell us about some of the current VM escapes you have been working on, specifically VMcat, VMdrag-n-hack, VMdrag-n-sploit, VMftp
- Tell us how you acquired [Tavis http://taviso.decsystem.org/virtsec.pdf] to be on the team?
- Did you find any problems with ESX?
- http://xato.net/bl/2007/08/22/vmware-guest-isolation-vulnerability/ - What do you think of the recent posting about VMware guest isloation?
- What do you think of the recent exploits that came out shortly after you July 27th talk against VM ware products? Specifically http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/4244, http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/4245, http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/4240.
- Aside from vmware, what other vm products/software have you been testing?
- Whats the deal with Cisco and Vmware?
- VMware going public, how does that effect your research?